The main objective of the GReSBAS project is to implement and demonstrate an innovative gamification system for promoting DR (Demand Response) actions in buildings. This system will use building automation technologies and advanced gamification techniques for end-user engagement in order to enable the active participation of building occupants/owners in DR schemes. An important emphasis will be given to DR programs capable of supporting and improving the operation of distribution grids, namely for the purpose of peak energy and congestion management.
In order to achieve this goal, the GReSBAS project defines the following specific objectives:
- Setup of three demonstration sites, one in Portugal and two in Turkey, equipped with building automation systems to monitor consumption and to perform DR actions;
- Development and implementation of gamification techniques for end-user engagement in order to educate and motivate building occupants/owners to actively participate in DR schemes;
- Development and implementation of game mechanics and graphical user interfaces to enable the participation of building occupants/owners in DR actions, providing them access to their performance and individual ranking;
- Development and implementation of DR algorithms to improve the performance of the distribution grid and to promote optimal economic management of the building’s energy consumption levels;
- Design, development, and improvement of building automation hardware and software to enable/support the participation of end-users in DR schemes.